Intense water damage and flooding can create havoc and turn everything upside down for you. There have been several unfortunate incidents where people suffered losses worth millions of dollars. No doubt, this is an added stress especially when there is already a lot going on. However, the lack of awareness on the matter is something that needs to be discussed. A large number of households still do not understand the risks accompanied by water damage, especially in the Queens area. The major cause of concern here is the fact that it severely affects human health. We have shed light on quite a few prominent risks that should compel you to take immediate action if you are residing in Queens.
Bacterial Growth & Fungus
A high amount of moisture is one of the key factors that encourages bacteria and mold to thrive on the surface. Hence, what you think is a minor leak is actually a reason for contaminating the surface which is not only unsightly but also hazardous for human health.
You may not realize that but water damage can actually cause serious damage to the property. Wooden furniture is generally the major target. It can cause the furniture to lose its color and severe damage will affect its structure. This is certainly heavy on the heart if the furniture is not insured or holds sentimental value. In addition to this, leakage around your wardrobe can ruin your clothes. Not only this, but it is also known for weakening the building’s structure.
It is a serious threat to your health if the source of water damage is loaded with toxic chemicals and debris. As we mentioned earlier, it promotes bacteria and fungus which release harmful gases in the air making it unfit for human health. You are more likely to develop diseases from the bacteria if you already suffer from respiratory issues or a weak immune system.
Water damage that comes from an unhealthy source such as flooding or unclean pipes tends to spread unpleasant odor in the air. Flood water is rich in contaminants that spread out a pungent smell. Most often, the smell is unbearable and makes it difficult to spend a longer time in the area. It is even harder for someone who has a strong sense of smell.
The wiring can easily get affected if exposed to water. This is somewhat concerning because the chances of electrocution and short circuits increase and the consequences can be life-threatening. In addition to this, it may also result in blown fuse and malfunctioning of electrical appliances. Hence, be wary of leakage and flooding.
It is advisable to call a professional team that handles water damage because by now you all are well aware of the dangers. The companies are well-equipped and are masters at the art of eliminating the risks associated with water damage. However, make sure you contact a company as soon as you spot water damage because there is no room for delay in this scenario. After all, it’s the matter of your well-being.